Oral Sex and HIV transmission

Hello! 5 months ago I received oral sex from a prostitute. It took no longer than 10 min, but I had an open sore on my penis. 2 months ago I did the HIV test, and it was negative. How risky was this? Should I worry? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

To date, nobody has ever been infected through receiving oral sex. If you are receiving oral sex from someone else, you are only being exposed to saliva. The concentrations of the virus in saliva are so low, that nobody has ever been infected this way. So even though you did have an open sore on your penis, because nobody has ever been infected from saliva, your risk of infection would still be extremely low. Keep in mind however that you can get other sexually transmitted diseases (like herpes) by receiving oral sex. However, as far as HIV is concerned, receiving oral sex is extremely low risk.

It can take an antibody test up to 6 months to show positive in an infected person. However, if this was your only risk factor, there really is no clinical need for re-testing, since the risk of infection is extremely low from receiving oral sex. So assuming no other risk factors for HIV, there is no clinical need for you to be tested again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

receptive vs. insertive in oral sex
Wet Body Massage-Risk of HIV?