Cytomegalovirus only or Associated HIV infection?

Seven weeks ago, I engaged on a fellatio with a prostitute in Japan. Without wearing condoms at that time, I drove myself crazy when she suddenly spread her fingers wet of saliva on the top of my penis where an abrasion could be seen. One week after, I developed all the symptoms reminding the HIV seroconversion illness. Within the same month, my Japanese doctor carried out an antigen test, EIA, perhaps, which came out negative. Even though my antibody test had also been negative after one month, I have still had swollen cervical lymphonodes, bruised easily and reached temperatures around 37.2 centigrades sometimes. My laboratory exams showed high titers of cytomegalovirus, but I don't have any "other" reason to be immunocompronised to this point. After eating, I feel some disconfort and have also found my sight a bit blurred. I would appreciate if you could give me your opinion... Do you think it was possible to have also acquired the HIV virus in this encounter. HELP ME, please.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your inquiry.

First of all, if you were receiving oral sex (fellatio) with this prostitute, your risk of infection was very small. If you are receiving oral sex from someone else, you are only being exposed to saliva. The concentrations of the virus in saliva are so low, that nobody has ever been infected from saliva. Keep in mind however that you can get other sexually transmitted diseases (like herpes) by receiving oral sex. However, as far as HIV is concerned, receiving oral sex is extremely low risk. It is therefore unlikely that your symptoms are related to recent HIV infection if this was your only risk.

Your symptoms may have been due to recent CMV infection, although many people show no symptoms from this infection. The severe symptoms of CMV infection (including vision problems) usually only occur if the person has damage to their immune system. In the case of AIDS, this is not usually seen until literally years after infection. All I can say is that if your symptoms are persisting or getting worse, you should see your physician, regardless of what you think the problem is. But if this experience was your only risk factor for HIV, your risk of infection was very low.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Fingering then masterbation
When Contagious?