Infection through eyes

At my batchlor party a stripper was walking over me when it appered a drop of vaginal secretions fell into my eye. What do you fill my risk is-high or low. Secondly is there a definition for high and low risk.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. In order to become infected with HIV, the following conditions must be met:

You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood, or breast milk.

The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc.

Transmission must go directly from 1 person to the other very quickly.....the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body.

No matter what the circumstances are, if you think about these 3 criteria for transmission, you'll be able to determine whether you're at risk for HIV or not. But do remember that other sexually transmitted diseases (STD) can be transmitted easier than HIV, so what might be low risk for HIV may be high risk for other STD's.

Now, in your particular case, if it was vaginal secretions that got into your eye, you would indeed be at risk for HIV, and even other diseases as well. Are you sure it wasn't her sweat or urine that got into your eye? Sweat and urine are NOT risky body fluids for transmission of HIV.

If it was vaginal secretions that got into your eye, the eye is comprised of mucous membranes, and it is possible for HIV to enter your bloodstream this way. This is because there can be microscopic abrasions in the eyes, especially if you were to rub your eyes. All we can say is that the risk would be a possibility IF her vaginal secretions went directly into your eye.

IF this is the case, you may want to wait 6 months before getting an HIV antibody test for the most accurate test result (>99% accuracy at 6 months). If it was sweat or urine that got into your eye, you would not be considered at significant risk for HIV. Also, if her "fluids" did not get into your eye, your risk of infection would also be very very small.

The terms "High" and "Low" risk are actually subjective terms. Generally speaking, when something is "High" risk, there is a significant chance of infection. If it is "Low" risk, there is a very small chance of infection, but transmission is technically possible. If something is "No" risk, that means there is no risk of infection at all.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Vaginal fluids - HIV?
Fingering then masterbation