Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaginal fluids - HIV?
Nov 11, 1996

Recently I went to to licensed brothel in Australia. After watching the sex worker masturbate herself with a vibrator she got a condom out, put it on my penis and then proceeded to give me oral sex. My question is, could there have been residual vaginal fluids on her hands which could be passed on to the inside of the condom when she got it to put on my penis and could her hand passed anything on to me as she came into contact with my penis when she put the condom on. Moreover, as she had given me a massage before hand with some oil based massage oil, could the oil have gotten on to the surface of the condom and cause a tiny tear in the condom that I did not see? Thanks for you help. Keep up the good work!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. The chances that you were directly exposed to her vaginal secretions and those secretions having a direct access to your bloodstream are very small under the circumstances you described. If she did not wash the oil-based massage oil off of her hands before putting the condom on you, there would be a chance that some of that oil got onto the condom. However, your risk for HIV would still be small. This is because if you are receiving oral sex from someone else, you are only being exposed to saliva. The concentrations of the virus in saliva are so low, that nobody has ever been infected from saliva. Keep in mind however that you can get other sexually transmitted diseases (like herpes) by receiving oral sex. However, as far as HIV is concerned, receiving oral sex is extremely low risk.

I am not aware if licensed brothels in Australia have any type of screening of their prostitutes. I know however in Nevada's licensed brothels, that workers are tested weekly for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, and monthly for Syphilis and HIV. Any workers testing positive for any of these diseases cannot work, and latex condom use is mandatory in all of Nevada's licensed brothels (however remember that not all prostitution is legal in Nevada). I cannot say however if there are similar laws for brothels in Australia.

Based on what you have told me, your risks of infection with HIV were small. However, as a rule for everyone reading this post:

If you use anything oil-based on your hands, make sure you wash your hands well with soap and water, to remove the oil from your hands, before touching anything made out of latex.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Previous
Problems with peep shows
Next
Infection through eyes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.