The Condom Came Off The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

Mr. Sowadsky, I am a female, and have been having sex with condoms with my partner for just over 3 months. One month ago, we were having sex during my menstrual cycle, and the condom came off inside of me. You have mentioned blood as a vehicle for transmission, but would the greater risk in this case be to him or to me? Thank you

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

In this case, your partner is the one who would be at increased risk (assuming that you were infected). This is because, in addition to your vaginal secretions, he would also be exposed to your blood. The more infectious body fluids a person is exposed to, the greater the risk would be. However, if your partner was infected, you too, would be at risk of infection. Once the condom came off, both of you became at risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). This of course assumes that the other partner was infected.

My suggestion to you is to consider being tested for HIV and other STD's. Remember that a person can have HIV/STD's and have no symptoms at all. That's why testing is the only way to know whether you became infected with these diseases or not. I hope this answered your questions. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HIV I and HIV IIThe Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions
HIV transmission from massageThe Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions