Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and Kissing The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions
Jan 9, 1997

Approximately 18 months ago, I came in contact with an individual who I kissed deeply with. No other type of sexual contact was performed. I have been racked with guilt about this and all I can think about is that I have been infected with HIV. I asked him if was ever tested for HIV and he said yes but that it was negative. The time frame of when he was tested was about 7 months after our contact. He works in health care and an AIDs patient vomited on him during his therapy treatment session. Standard testing following this type of exposure even if it was low, low risk is routine for a health care employee. I have no reason to not believe him. He said his girlfriend is still a virgin and he has not had sex with anyone in four years. I have not had any symptoms that would indicate that I have HIV. I did have some episodes of waking up at night and being real hot and just my chest was sweaty. I saw my internal medicine doctor numerous times and she worked me up for everything and everything was fine. I never ever have a fever when I wake up as I previously described. She said that true night sweats are a result of a fever and if I didn't have a fever, I was just probably just covering up to much. I get frequent colds but I work in a nursing home and have two kids in daycare who are always getting colds too. I am just beside myself. I am too afraid to get an HIV test because of confidentialty reasons, but I know in my heart that I probably don't have anything anyways. I think that I just am so anxious about it that I am losing my mind. What do you think about all of this? No blood was transmitted in the kissing and I did not have any type of cold sore or mouth sore to serve as an entry point. Thank you very much for your time.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Simply put, HIV has never been transmitted by saliva, and nobody has ever been infected by kissing in the 15+ years that we have been tracking this epidemic. The concentrations of the HIV virus in saliva are so low, that nobody has ever been infected through saliva. So kissing is not considered a risk factor for HIV.

If you are "racked with guilt" about this for 18 months, then I do suggest you seek counseling. Counseling is helpful for people dealing with issues such as guilt, especially if the guilt is interfering with a persons everyday life, on an ongoing basis. So in your case, testing is not the solution to your problem. Counseling will provide much more help for you than testing will.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
oral sex risk
Next
High Risk Exposure followed by Molluscum The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.