Anal Sex and the condom broke The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

Rick, Me and this guy were having anal sex. I used a condom and ky with nonmoxinol 9. I was the insertive partner. We did it for about 35-40 seconds and changed postitions. The condom was still intact. Then we it in another postition for about 30 seconds and I took it out. When I took it out the condom was completely broken. He says he didnt bleed or anything and I didnt see any blood on the condom. And we didnt do it for that long, 30-40 seconds max after the condom broke. I know im at hish risk but, is it very likely I got HIV this way?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

The only thing I can tell you is that once the condom broke, you became at high risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). The longer you were having sex after the condom broke, the greater your chances of infection there would be. Normally during anal sex, the insertive partner is exposed to the blood of the receptive partner. The more blood you are exposed to, the greater your risk for HIV there would be. The only way for you to know whether you became infected with HIV or not, is to be tested 6 months after this exposure. You should also consider being tested for other STD's including (but not limited to) Hepatitis B and syphilis. Testing is the only way to know if you became infected with these diseases or not. But the longer you had sex after the condom broke, the greater your risk would be.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Fresh Cuts and HIV The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions
Contact with a womans period blood The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions