mutual fingering The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

Hi Rick, I have a question. When a woman fingers herself first and then puts her finger into my rectum, is this very dangerous? I know that vaginal secretions are hiv concentrated, but what is really the chance that the woman infects me? Keep up the good work!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. There is no single answer to this question. If a womans vaginal secretions were to directly get into your rectum within minutes, then there would be a chance of infection. This of course assumes there would be cuts or abrasions present in order for the virus to get into your bloodstream. The greater the quantity of vaginal secretions that you'd be exposed to, the greater your risk would be. All I can say is that the possibility of transmission existed, but I cannot quantify your risk. Just remember the following:

In order for infection to occur, 3 things must happen:

You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood, or breastmilk.

The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc.

Transmission must go directly from 1 person to the other very quickly.....the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body.

No matter what the circumstances are, if you think about these 3 criteria for transmission, you'll be able to determine whether you're at risk for HIV or not. But do remember that other sexually transmitted diseases (STD) can be transmitted easier than HIV, so what might be low risk for HIV may be high risk for other STD's.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Female Oral Sex The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions
Fingering The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions