Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sex without the intercourse
Feb 11, 1997

Mr. Sowadsky About 8 months ago my Girlfriend and I, lacking a condom, tried what she called 'sliding'. In the missionary position I began to slide up and down along her clitoris, and afterwords she used the tip of my penis to stimulate her clitoris. Being at that time a virgin and having foreskin what do you believe then to be my risks. Also, where exactly does the virus enter a males body? Is it through the opening of the penis, or is it through tiny lisions on the penis due to the extreme pressure? I ask again what level of risk would I be in due to the amount of contact which I had, remembering that there was no actual penetration. Thank you in advance. Scared.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

If there was no penetration, that would reduce your risk of infection with HIV, since there would be less of a possibility of HIV entering the bloodstream. Based on what you told me, there may be some risk of infection, but the risk would be relatively low.

During vaginal or anal intercourse, there is a significant chance for microscopic cuts and abrasions on the head of your penis, due to the friction that normally occurs during intercourse. These microscopic cuts and abrasions are too small for you to visually see, but large enough for HIV to enter your bloodstream. Since the head of the penis is made of mucous membranes, it is especially prone to these microscopic cuts and abrasions. Also, if you were to have any open lesions due to other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) such as herpes or syphilis, your risk increases, since this would give the HIV virus an easier access to your bloodstream.

So all I can say is that you would have to be directly exposed to HIV, and the virus must have a direct access to your bloodstream in order to infect you. If you are concerned about this encounter, since it was 8 months ago, you should now be able to get an accurate HIV antibody test (assuming no other possible exposures to the virus). The antibody tests are more than 99% accurate, anytime after 6 months from a persons last possible exposure to the virus. But overall, your risks of infection were low, and much less than had you had intercourse with her. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Oral-sex with prostitute,TERRIFIED
Next
Kissing and infection with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.