Oral-sex with prostitute,TERRIFIED

Three years ago I received oral sex(unprotected) from a sex worker in Indonesia. It lasted about four minutes and I ejaculated in her mouth. Ever since I have been racked with anxiety over whether or not I caught HIV. Your site has actually made me feel a bit better but I,m still worried and too scared to get an HIV test. What is the frequency of HIV in Indonesia and how at risk am I? According to your answers on receiving oral sex,only if blood is present is there risk. I don't recall there being any blood but what if the woman had other STD'S or sores in her mouth, if so what chance is there of me contracting it?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Receiving oral sex (exposure only to saliva) is extremely low risk for HIV. In fact, if this was your only risk factor, getting tested for HIV is not necessary, since your risk was so low. In Indonesia, as of 30 April, 1995, there were 95 cases of AIDS reported. This does not include cases of HIV, only cases of full-blown AIDS. Because reporting in this part of the world is so poor, the number of cases of HIV/AIDS is undoubtedly higher than 95 cases. However, whether this prostitute was infected or not really doesn't make much difference, since your risk was so low. If receiving oral sex was your only risk factor, your chances of infection were extremely low, and testing is not necessary if you were only exposed to her saliva. As far as other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) are concerned, the only STD that would pose any significant risk would have been herpes. If you had contracted herpes from her, you would have shown symptoms (painful blistery lesions on your penis) within a week or two after infection. Again, as far as HIV and other STD's are concerned, your risk was very low, and testing is not necessary if this was your only risk factor.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

oral sex
Sex without the intercourse