Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk in mixed rooms
Feb 24, 1997

Five months ago, I went to a mixed-room where I had mutual masturbation with a guy I didn't know at all, but I am quite sure he is very risky for HIV and other STD diseases. During this encounter, another guy joined us and also masturbated me for a very short time. I would be having my mind eased if I hadn't developed a medically diag- nosed mononucleosis syndrome one to two weeks thereafter. I understand that what I did was low risk for HIV and even after my 3- month test, which came back negative, I've been still too much concerned, mainly when I get common cold, a very often illness for me recently. At that encounter, I didn't give or receive oral sex, neither kissed them, but I'm afraid their pre-cum may have contacted my penis through their hands. By the way, I also had a quite deep 24-hour-old break on the head of my genital at that time and it made me feel tremendously scared. How would you explain my mononucleosis syndrome if I already had EBV and CMV since childhood? Should I REALLY forget this matter after my 6-month test? Sometimes I get crazy with the great amount of confusing information. There are people out there recommending getting tested after 1 year. I just think this is out of most human being's league regarding to the tension these tests cause on us. Give me your last word, please. I would very much appreciate that!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Mutual masturbation is a low risk activity for HIV. Therefore, it's unlikely that any symptoms that you would be having are related to HIV/AIDS. For more information about the symptoms of HIV/AIDS, see the posting, "A MESSAGE FROM RICK SOWADSKY ABOUT SYMPTOM QUESTIONS". Your symptoms may be due to many other causes, besides HIV, EBV or CMV. If your symptoms persist or get worse, see your physician to determine the cause. A 6 month HIV test is more than 99% accurate, as good as any test in medicine could ever be. If you test negative at 6 months, it would be highly unlikely to test positive at one year from this exposure.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Three questions: Use of Condom after 'fingering' Worried about prostitutes Oral Sex & Menstrual Blood?
Next
Allergic reaction to semen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.