Three questions: Use of Condom after 'fingering' Worried about prostitutes Oral Sex & Menstrual Blood?

Question 1:

I recently had a single vaginal sex encounter with a U.S. female (4 weeks ago). I used a condom but prior to application I had 'fingered' the lady in question. I am pretty sure that my hands were 'dry' when I applied the condom and no other direct exchanges of fluids took place. However, I am worried that I could have contracted HIV because of this error in the use of the Condom. The condom was of the 'Trojan' variety and on later inspection of the accompanying literature, did not appear to be spermicidally lubricated or lubricated with STD fighting agents (non-oxynol etc.). The lady in question was 52, married and had probably had multiple sexual partners. She said she was free of infection but I am not sure she really understood the issues. I have since tested negative of all other common STDs. I had no obvious cuts on my hands at the time. I have however experienced some of the symptoms symtoms associated with HIV (flu, glands etc.), but this may be due to stress. What are the realistic chances of HIV infection? infection? Thanks for your help. Keep up the good work.

Question 2:

I have been engaging in sex with street prostitutes for 3.5 years. I have been using condoms religiosly. 95% of the time I received oral sex and 5% of the time I engaged in vaginal intercourse. Each time I had vaginal intercourse I wore a condom and it did not break. There were occasions where there was fingering and two or three occassions where I performed oral sex. my question is how much at risk am I. I have now decided to stop being with prostitutes and I am currently taking an HIV test and waiting for the results. Very worried!!!!

Question 3:

Dear Sir, Is it an absolute,that you will be infected with the HIV virus when coming in contact with a woman's mentstrual blood through giving oral sex? Does the possible ingestion of that blood orally, guarantee that the infected blood will make it into your bloodstream? I had oral sex with a women about 2 years ago, that was in her period time, and know I may have ingested some blood. I don't believe she was infected, but I am a little concerned. Thank You for considering my question... Worried

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your questions.

The answers to these 3 questions is essentially the same.

Fingering is a low risk activity for HIV. This issue has been addressed in greater detail in several previous questions, listed in the Sexual Transmission area of this webpage.

Condoms, used consistently and correctly, will significantly reduce the risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). There doesn't have to be a spermicide with the condom, in order for the condom to protect you. But if the condom were to break, leak, or fall off, spermicidal ingredients (like Nonoxynol-9), can further reduce the risk of infection, should the condom fail. However, as long as the condom doesn't break, leak, or fall off, and is used correctly, the risks for transmission of HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) is very low.

As far as the risks of oral sex are concerned, these is addressed in detail in the question, "Oral Sex", and many other similar questions on this webpage.

Having unprotected sex with a person, whether it is oral sex, vaginal or anal intercourse etc., does not automatically mean that you will become infected. But the more blood, semen, or vaginal secretions that you are exposed to, the greater the risk. Likewise, the more fresh open cuts or abrasions there are, or the greater the severity of gum disease in the mouth, the greater the risk there would be. All we can talk about here is relative risk. There are no absolutes. You can be exposed to HIV and not get infected. But the more times that you are exposed, the greater the risk of infection.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Exotic Dancer worried or feeling guilty?
Risk in mixed rooms