Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is my risk based on activity?
Mar 7, 1997

I recently had sex with a prostitute. This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever done. A latex condom was used during both the brief oral sex which she performed on me and the vaginal sex act. The intercourse lasted only a short time (2-3 minutes). I withdrew immediately after ejaculation. The condom did not come off and it did not appear broken. I removed it immediately and washed my hands with soap and water. I never touched her vaginal area with my hands nor did I touch her with my mouth in any way. Throughtout the sex acts she was very careful to ensure that the condom was in place and kept her hand on it to ensure that it was pulled down as far as possible. I saw no blood, there were no sores or abrasions on me and I saw none on her. I don't know her HIV status but have to assume the worst. This was my first act outside my monogamous relationship and I fully intend for it to be my last. I hope I haven't made a fatal mistake. Realizing that nothing is "for sure," how would you rate my risk of contracting HIV? If I survive this incident -- I have truly learned a lesson.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. The fact that you were using a latex condom significantly reduced your risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). As long as the condom was used correctly, and it didn't break, leak, or fall off, your risk of infection with HIV/STD's was very low.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Cuts on Lips
Next
Why male-to-female not 100%?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.