Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cuts on Lips
Mar 12, 1997

Dear Rick, I was involved in an incident of mutual masterbation. I got some semen on my hands, but didnot notice any cuts on my hands. I proceeded to wipe the semen on the guys shirt and then layed my head on his chest. My lips touched some of the semen, but none got into my mouth. My lips were chapped, but were not bleeding. The openings on my lips were very small, and not really scabbed. Would I be considered at high risk? Should I get tested for this or am I just being silly? Thank you for your time.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. All anybody could say is that if the integrity of the skin was broken, and the semen had a direct access to the bloodstream, then there would be some risk of infection. Nobody can say if it's high or low risk, because the risk would depend on how badly your lips were chapped, and how much semen got directly into the breaks in the skin of your lips. The more chapped they were, and the more semen that got directly into the openings, the greater your risk would be. If you're concerned about your risks of infection, then you may wish to consider getting tested 6 months after this incident to determine whether you became infected or not. There's really little else I can tell you regarding your risk. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
is it possible to transmit aids immediately after infection?
Next
What is my risk based on activity?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.