Does my husband need an AIDS test? Do I?/ condom breaking during intercourse

Question #1: After 15 years of monogamous marriage, my husband recently had a brief affair. We are trying to put our marriage back together, but I am now afraid to have intercourse with him, although we have had oral sex. Should I insist that he have an AIDS test before we begin having intercourse again. Should I have an AIDS test? Question #2: what chances of contracting aids do I have if, while having vaginal sex with a prostitute, condom breaks and I immediately pull out from her? I asked to a doctot in Italy and he said that chances are so small that I even do not have to bother with an HIV test.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your questions.

Both of these questions deal with circumstances where a person could be at risk for HIV and other STD's. If your sexual partner(s) have other sexual partners (or needle-sharing partners), then you become at risk for HIV yourself. Also, if a condom breaks when having sex with a person, you also become at risk for HIV and other STD's. The longer you have sex with them, and the more times you have sex with them, the greater the risks of infection. Once a condom breaks, you are wide open for infection with HIV/STD's. The longer you have sex with a person after the condom breaks, the greater your risk of infection. Regarding the risks of oral sex in the first question, see the posting, "Oral Sex" for more information.

For both of these people, I do recommend getting tested, not only for HIV, but other STD's as well, just to be on the safe side. The husband in the first question should also consider getting tested as well, especially if he had unprotected sex with other people.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Woman->Man less common than Man->Woman?
Risks of anal sex?