The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/AIDS transmission

Oct 14, 1997

Are there any documented cases of AIDS being transmitted from a woman to a man during sexual intercourse?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Not only are there documented cases of HIV being transmitted from woman to man during sexual contact, the MAJORITY of the worlds HIV/AIDS cases are transmitted specifically through heterosexual transmission.

In the United States alone, from 1981 to 30 June 1997, there were 18,811 men diagnosed with full-blown AIDS, who became infected specifically through heterosexual contact with an infected woman. In addition to this, 3,621 men with HIV (who do not yet have AIDS) became infected specifically through heterosexual contact. However, since HIV (without having AIDS) is not reportable in many states in the USA, this HIV statistic is significantly under-reported. These statistics do NOT include cases outside of the USA.

When HIV/AIDS cases are reported, they are NOT classified by the specific sexual activity (vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, oral sex, etc.). These cases are simply classified as heterosexual transmission. However, we can say that most became infected through vaginal and/or anal intercourse with infected women.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Oral sex
Mucous Membrane infectivity

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint