Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom Broke: HIV+ Male & HIV- Female
Nov 14, 1997

Three weeks ago my friend (female) had sex with an HIV+ guy and the condom broke. What are the chances she was infected? I heard they have treatments for people who have been exposed to HIV. Is there any thing she can do? Should she take any drugs (Pro Tease Inhibitors?)? What effect would taking drugs have on her health if she is negetive? How much time does she have to start drug treatment if she wanted to do so?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Currently, prophylactic treatment (treatments to prevent a person from becoming infected after a KNOWN exposure to HIV) is only recommended for significant occupational exposures (for example, blood exposures to healthcare workers from a known HIV positive patient). This involves treating the exposed worker with a group of drugs (nicknamed "cocktails") which have action against HIV. These drugs normally are started preferably within 1-2 hours after an exposure, or at most 24-36 hours after an exposure. The worker would then continue on these medications for 4 weeks.

There is now a research trial currently underway to see if this treatment approach can be used for significant sexual exposures to KNOWN HIV positive persons. Because this research trial is currently in it's early stages, we cannot say at this time, if treatments would benefit persons with significant sexual exposures to HIV. We still have very little information regarding the harmful health effects of these drugs (if any) on HIV negative persons. Until this trial is complete, and until further information is available, preventive treatment against HIV for sexual exposures is still not recommended in the majority of cases.

In regard to your friend specifically, there is nothing that can realistically be done at this point in time, other than HIV testing over the next 6 months. Nobody can give you a realistic statistic as to her chances of infection, other than to say that she may or may not be infected.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Previous
ORAL SEX
Next
Oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.