Barebacking in Gay men and in positive couples

What are the risks involved in barebacking with another HIV+ buddy? We have both been positive and healthy for a few years (him 5, me 3). Barebacking got me into this position, but bareback is just so much more enjoyable. If there are further health risks, I'll need to rethink our activity. Thanks!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

The issue of Barebacking in the Gay community is highly controversial. Barebacking among couples where both partners are positive can indeed pose a further health risk, especially as it relates to the risks of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and also HIV reinfection. Reinfection is an important concern since there is already clinical evidence of sexual transmission of drug resistant strains of HIV.

For a general review about barebacking in the Gay community, and why barebacking is becoming more common among Gay men, read the posting Barebacking in the Gay community.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

How many cases through giving oral sex EXACTLY?
Secondary prevention and fear of infecting others