Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission from woman to man
Jul 26, 1999

I realize that this question probably does come up alot,but I have yet to find a sastifactory answer.my question is how easy is it to tramsmit hiv from a woman to man.My boyfriend and I have been a less than careful a couple of times,I am positive he is not,My health is great,my viral is below 50 copies on the ultra sensitive test,I am not an iv drug user,have no cuts,etc.I have asked doctors about this and local hiv centers (they say the risk from woman to man is minimal,but don't condone it.Different doctors say different things and I had one that wanted me to also go on birth control when I asked him about condoms and spermicide he didn't give me a staight answer.I think I am more worried than my boyfriend and would just like to get an answer for once.thank you

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Considering that the majority of the worlds HIV cases are transmitted through heterosexual sex, we can say with confidence that unprotected heterosexual intercourse is not a low risk activity for HIV.

When we are talking about unprotected intercourse (both vaginal and anal) with an infected person, the inserting partner (the "top") is at high risk of infection, and the receiving partner (the "bottom") is at even higher risk of infection. Note that neither partner is at low risk of infection. This holds true not only for HIV, but for other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) as well.

If you and your boyfriend have been "less than careful a couple of times", I suggest that he gets tested for HIV, and that BOTH of you get tested for other STDs as well. For more information, please read the following post on our website: What determines the chances of infection?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
HIV (-) partner won't use condoms with HIV (+) partner
Next
How many cases through giving oral sex EXACTLY?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.