HIV risk from sex toys

Hi, a few months ago, i went over to a friend's house after school. We went into his mom's room and found a bunch of vibrators and sex toys. His mom was not home, so I'm sure they weren't used in the past few minutes, but could I have been infected by coming into contact with the sex toys?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Using sex toys would only pose a risk for HIV if:

1) the person using the sex toy was infected with HIV, AND

2) there was blood, pre-cum, semen, or vaginal secretions on the sex toy, AND

3) the sex toy was used within minutes after the infected person used it, AND

4) the persons body fluids had a direct access to your bloodstream.

From what you were describing, it seems quite unlikely that you were at any risk of infection for HIV under these circumstances.

To prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs when using sex toys, simply wash the toy with soap and water immediately after you use it (and before anyone else uses the toy). You can also wash the toy immediately before you use it as well, just in case you are unsure if it was cleaned or not.

Also, some people have been fearful of getting HIV and other STDs from toys they bought new in adult stores. If you buy sex toys in stores, realistically speaking, it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone else would have used that toy before (especially just minutes before). So there should be no risk of infection for HIV and other STDs from toys you just bought in a store.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

What are the risks from Deep Throating
How do I know if I am at low risk or high risk?