Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV risk from sex toys
Sep 27, 1999

Hi, a few months ago, i went over to a friend's house after school. We went into his mom's room and found a bunch of vibrators and sex toys. His mom was not home, so I'm sure they weren't used in the past few minutes, but could I have been infected by coming into contact with the sex toys?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Using sex toys would only pose a risk for HIV if:

1) the person using the sex toy was infected with HIV, AND

2) there was blood, pre-cum, semen, or vaginal secretions on the sex toy, AND

3) the sex toy was used within minutes after the infected person used it, AND

4) the persons body fluids had a direct access to your bloodstream.

From what you were describing, it seems quite unlikely that you were at any risk of infection for HIV under these circumstances.

To prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs when using sex toys, simply wash the toy with soap and water immediately after you use it (and before anyone else uses the toy). You can also wash the toy immediately before you use it as well, just in case you are unsure if it was cleaned or not.

Also, some people have been fearful of getting HIV and other STDs from toys they bought new in adult stores. If you buy sex toys in stores, realistically speaking, it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone else would have used that toy before (especially just minutes before). So there should be no risk of infection for HIV and other STDs from toys you just bought in a store.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
What are the risks from Deep Throating
Next
How do I know if I am at low risk or high risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.