The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alcohol and HIV

Nov 16, 2001

Hi, please answer my question i'm worried sick! Two days before i got my negative test result i got very, very drunk, i am worried that this might have effected the accuracy of the test and also for a year before taking the test i used to get drunk once if not twice a week would this effect the accuracy? I feel i would like to put all this behind me and move on because i am getting married next year and i havent told my fiance anything about my test (the guys i slept with were before i met him) i just worry all the time, i even worry myself into thinking i have symptoms of HIV! Please tell me, can i move on? i was tested way past the window period (9 months). Thankyou for your help and advice.

Response from Mr. Kull

Drinking alcohol will not affect the accuracy of the HIV antibody test results. Receiving a negative result nine months after your exposure means that you are HIV negative (not infected).

How do you assess your alcohol consumption? Do you "black-out" when you drink (meaning forget certain activity or situations)? Do you find that it's hard to control your drinking or do people comment on your drinking behavior? Is it interfering with your day-to-day life? Check out "Getting help for substance use" ( at The Body if you answer yes to these questions.


oral sex (cunnilingus)
Different Stories from Doctor and HIV Hotline

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint