BLEACH SOLUTION DEUCHE PREVENTION

I HAVE HEARD THAT BLEACH KILLS THE AIDS VIRUS. IF A WOMAN USES A BLEACH AND WATER SOLUTION TO DEUCHE (SIC) WILL IT HELP PROTECT HER FROM AN HIV POSITVE PARTNER?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

This is something that could be extremely dangerous and even potentially fatal for a woman to do. The concentrations of chlorine bleach that are used to kill the AIDS virus are generally in a 1:10 bleach solution. And for cleaning IV drug needles, bleach is used full strength. If a woman were to douche with bleach (especially at these concentrations), this could cause extreme harm to the woman, as bleach is NEVER meant to be used internally. Just read the warnings on the label and you'll see what I mean.

Douching in general will not protect a woman from HIV and other diseases, and in some cases, can even increase the risk of infection or complications from these diseases. The best protection is using latex condoms everytime with every partner. Doing so will significantly reduce the risk of HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). But douching is not to be depended on as a form of protection against STD's (including HIV). If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

how safe are condoms?/Condon effectiveness
what shall I say when I want him to use condom?