Leaking condom

If a condom does leak, is the male or female at risk for HIV or other STD's? AFter I had sex with an escort,I continued to have sex after ejaculation. I did not lose my erection and that's why I continued. It lasted for about five minutes after ejaculation. The condom did not slip off but now I'm concerned it may have leaked! Would you recommend testing? Thanks!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

A condom must be removed immediately after ejaculation. This is because the man begins to lose his erection after ejaculation, and when this happens, the condom is much more likely to leak or fall off. I find it quite unusual for you not to lose your erection after ejaculation. You may have still had a partial erection, but even with a partial erection, the condom is still much more likely to fall off or leak. Because you continued to have sex after you ejaculated, all I can say is that the condom may not have protected you as well as you think. I therefore do recommend you consider getting tested for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). For more information on this issue, see the question, "Proper Condom Usage". Remember, condoms will only protect you if you use them correctly. Continuing to use a condom after ejaculation, is not proper condom use, and you would therefore put yourself at risk for these diseases.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Motivation for behavior change
Proper Condom Usage