The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex Protection

Jun 9, 1997

Dear Dr. Rick, When giving oral sex to a female, does Saran or "plastic wrap", prevent HIV from being transmitted to the person giving oral sex. I.e.,will the HIV and other STD's pass through these products that are used as "dams". I hope you understand my question. Thanks

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Thank you for your question. Using Saran or plastic wrap will work well as protection against HIV and other STD's. Saran/plastic wrap acts as an effective barrier against these diseases. Simply place a large enough piece of wrap over the vagina while giving her oral sex. This same safer sex technique can be used for oral-anal sex (rimming) as well. Saran/plastic wrap is widely available in most grocery stores/supermarkets, is low cost, and is not embarrassing to buy. In addition, you can see through them, they come in a wide variety of colors, and they do not have any bad taste to them. These are a better alternative than the latex "dental dams" that were promoted several years ago. Dental dams are 6"x6" pieces of latex that work the same way. However dental dams are very hard to find, you can't see through them, and they can have a bad taste to them. Using saran/plastic wrap is therefore a much easier alternative, and is an effective form of protection against HIV and other STD's.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

how to do when the condom remain within vagina?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint