Can using Vaseline prevent getting HIV and other STDs?

Another guy I met on AOL (America Online) wanted bareback me using his discovered lubrication method. He uses a dildo and very large amounts of vaseline to coat the rectal lining to 'seal' the pores. Following that he uses a vaginal applicator to push large amounts of KY w/N-9 into the rectum. Then after his partner cums he expels the KY and semen theyeby reducing his risk of infection. He claims to have been doing this as a top and bottom for the past 6 years. I allowd him to start but after a few minutes became quite scared and pushed him away. Other friends I have told about this have never tried it but they said it makes sense.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Barebacking is having unprotected anal intercourse, and is most often used in reference to Gay men having unprotected anal intercourse. Using Vaseline this way will NOT provide adequate protection against HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs). There is no clinical evidence that Vaseline used this way, will provide an effective barrier against infection. The only form of protection that has been proven to prevent infection with HIV and other STDs, is using condoms every time, and using them correctly.

Based on what you told me, this guy you met online is considered at high risk of infection for HIV and other STDs. If you were having anal sex with him without using a condom, this puts you at high risk of infection as well. I therefore recommend that both of you consider getting examined and tested for STDs, including HIV. Remember, there is no clinical evidence that Vaseline is an effective barrier against infection with these diseases, when it is used in this way. I also recommend that you start using condoms every time you have sex with every partner. And keep in mind that when you are using latex condoms, Vaseline cannot be used as a lubricant, since oil-based lubricants like Vaseline, can damage a latex condom.

For further information on barebacking, and meeting people online, read the following web pages:

Barebacking How safe is it to meet people over the Internet?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Will hydrogen peroxide protect you from HIV and STDs?
Are people now practicing safer sex more often?