The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can using birth control protect you from HIV and other STDs?

Feb 19, 1999


Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. If I understand you correctly, you would like to know if using contraceptives (birth control) will protect you from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

The following are forms of birth control that will also protect you against HIV and other STDs:

1) latex condoms 2) polyurethane condoms 3) abstinence from sex

The following are forms of birth control that will not adequately protect you against HIV and other STDs:

1) birth control pills (oral contraceptives) 2) birth control implants (for example Norplant) 3) withdrawal method 4) natural condoms, sheepskin condoms, lambskin condoms 5) diaphragms 6) rhythm method 7) spermicides without the use of latex/polyurethane condoms 8) female sterilization (hysterectomy, tubal ligation, etc.) 9) male sterilization (vasectomy) 10) Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) 11) Cervical Caps

Some women engage in activities other than vaginal sex (for example anal intercourse) as a means of birth control. Although a woman cannot get pregnant from anal sex, oral sex, and other sexually activities that do not involve vaginal intercourse, a woman can get HIV and other STDs from these sexual activities.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Parents talking about sex to their children
Using lubricant inside the condom

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint