Taking a shower before and after sex
Jul 26, 1999
1. Should I have a shower before sex?
2. Should I have shower after sex? If yes how do I have to care.
Response from Mr. Sowadsky
In response to your questions:
Should I have a shower before sex?
I suggest that both partners shower before sex for several reasons:
1) You will smell a lot nicer to your partner during sex, making them enjoy your company a lot more.
2) If either of you will be engaging in oral-anal sex (rimming), showering will clean the anal area of feces, reducing the risk of fecal infections (for example Giardia, Hepatitis A, etc.)
3) Some couples shower together as a part of sexual foreplay.
Should I have shower after sex? If yes how do I have to care.
Showering after sex is a good idea for several reasons:
1) It can make you smell a lot nicer after having sex.
2) Showering afterwards can also help wash away any of your partners body fluids which may have gotten onto you. This could technically reduce your risk of STDs (to a very limited extent). But showing afterwards alone is NOT adequate protection against HIV and other STDs! Only condoms, and other forms of safer sex, will adequately protect you against HIV and other STDs.
3) Some couples shower together afterwards as a part of sexual "afterplay".
When showering before or after sex, shower in the way you normally would.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.