The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

protease inhibitors

Nov 18, 1996

Dear Mr. Sowadsky; Please describe Protease Inhibitors, how they work, and their role in drug cocktail therapy.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi.Thank you for your question.

Your question addresses so many issues that it's too long to answer in this forum. However, a good written source for your questions is in a booklet entitled, "Protease Inhibitors: A New Family of Drugs for the Treatment of HIV Infection. What they are, how they work, when to use them". The author is Martin Markowitz. The booklet is published by the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (225 West Washington, Suite 2200, Chicago IL 60606 USA). This easy to read 16 page booklet (last published in July 1996) should answer all of your questions. Do keep in mind however that treatments with Protease Inhibitors is changing very rapidly and specifics as to how they're used, and when they're used, is changing rapidly. But this booklet offers a good background as to how these drugs work.

Editor's note: also check out the National Minority AIDS Council's HIV/AIDS Treatment Education Manual here at the Body for basic information and our large selection of articles from many sources on all aspects of protease inhibitors.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Importance of Tube Used For HIV Test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint