The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bumps on Genitals - Fordyce??? The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

Jan 28, 1997

Rick, I went to Planned Parenthood to have them check out several tiny bumps on my penis. The physician suspects it to be fordyce. I searched all over the net for more info on this, and can't find any. I'm going to get a 2nd opinion next week. Is this an infectious disease? What else should I know about it? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Fordyce is a disease of the skin. To my knowledge, this is not an infectious disease. To verify if you have this skin disease, I recommend you see a dermatologist (skin specialist), who can definitively diagnose the bumps you have on your penis. If this is what you have, it is treatable, and a dermatologist should be able to give you the latest treatment options for this disease. However, since I am not a skin specialist, I cannot tell you very much about this particular skin disease. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Anal Sex & HIV Positive, is it safe?The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions
What are some good resources to be found at many local branch libraries about anatomy and physiology of the body? The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint