One positive dating another

I have a positive male friend having sex with a woman who is positive. I understand his physical needs and his lonliness for female companionship, but I am concerned about his health. I have heard that it is possible that one strain of HIV could be worse than another...is this true? Also, I am worried that with his immune system that he is very prone to catching whatever she might have been exposed to - like trading illness's. Are my concerns unfounded?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

For the answers to this issue, please see the question, "possible cross-infection btwn HIV+ couple". This post addresses the issue of reinfection involving HIV. As long as your friend and his partner practice safer sex, their sexual risk from other strains of HIV are very low. Safer sex also reduces the problems associated with having HIV and getting other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (see the post referenced here for more information about having HIV and other STD's at the same time). The post mentioned here also discusses possible exposure to other illnesses commonly found in persons with HIV, and how this may affect another positive partner.

claude
Thank you for your help