Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

One positive dating another
Mar 26, 1997

I have a positive male friend having sex with a woman who is positive. I understand his physical needs and his lonliness for female companionship, but I am concerned about his health. I have heard that it is possible that one strain of HIV could be worse than another...is this true? Also, I am worried that with his immune system that he is very prone to catching whatever she might have been exposed to - like trading illness's. Are my concerns unfounded?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

For the answers to this issue, please see the question, "possible cross-infection btwn HIV+ couple". This post addresses the issue of reinfection involving HIV. As long as your friend and his partner practice safer sex, their sexual risk from other strains of HIV are very low. Safer sex also reduces the problems associated with having HIV and getting other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (see the post referenced here for more information about having HIV and other STD's at the same time). The post mentioned here also discusses possible exposure to other illnesses commonly found in persons with HIV, and how this may affect another positive partner.

Previous
claude
Next
Thank you for your help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.