Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WHY HAVE CHILDREN?
May 30, 1997

I hear many inquiries about infected people wanting to have children. Why do people want to have babies only to die shortly after? The emotional hardship of a fatal disease must be more traumatic knowing that you're leaving behind dependents not to mention the stress on the kids themselves (if parents live long enough for them to even understand). Even if only one spouse is infected, there is always a risk of one partner infecting the other in which case the children become orphans. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but just what are these people thinking? Maybe one of your readers could respond so I can understand.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. It is never my position to tell a person what they morally should or should not do. My position is simply to inform the public as to the medical risks of HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). With that information, it is up to the individual to decide what personal risks and decisions they wish to make.

The decision for a couple to raise a child (where one or both of the couple is HIV positive) is a very difficult one for them to make. You raise some of the issues in your question. There is no simple answer to this question, since the issues involved can vary from one couple to another. The key point to make here is that, when raising any child, to always plan ahead. This is true for all couples, not just for those with HIV. It's important to look at all sides of the issues, keeping in mind that different people view things differently. It's important to keep an open mind as to people's stance on various issues. But like anything else, when considering raising a child, to plan ahead and to look at all sides of the issue (and all options) before making a decision. Like anything else, the more information one has ahead of time, the better they are able to make important (and sometimes difficult) decisions.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Not a question
Next
What exactly is AIDS? In detail.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.