vaginal sex, then anal sex, back to vaginal sex

my partner and myself have started to experiment with anal sex without condoms. I read some articles that say even if both partners are monogomous, condoms should be used. Reading your insights gave me much relief. Question I have is that we like to start out with his penis in my vagina for a few minutes, then he withdraws and puts in my ass, then he puts it back in my vagina. Is this safe? I know once he puts it back into my vagina, the penis should be washed off. But what if we are using condoms, if we start to have sex first in the vagina, then he pulls out, do we then put a condom on for anal sex, and then take it off to finish up with vaginal sex? Confused

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

First of all, regarding condom use, if there's any chance that you or your partner has any Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD), then it's important to use condoms for protection. If neither of you are infected with any STD, then there's no need to use condoms during anal, oral, and vaginal sex (unless you are using condoms as a form of birth control). Unprotected sex with an uninfected person is totally safe as far as STD's are concerned. But if you are not totally sure if your partner has an STD or not, it's a good idea to use protection every time you have sex. Remember, a person can have an STD and have no symptoms at all. Also, if someone acquired one of the viral STD's, they could have been infected years before, and still be able to infect you today. That's why, if there's ever any doubt about a persons STD status, condoms should be used.

Regarding switching between anal and vaginal sex (or visa versa), this could potentially transmit various infections, between the two sites. When switching between anal and vaginal intercourse (and visa versa), the penis (with or without a condom) can transmit various infections between your rectum and your vagina. During intercourse, the man would be protected as long as he is using the condom from start to finish, and is using the condom correctly. But, he can transmit infections between your rectum and your vagina, even if he's wearing a condom. This is because infections would be transmitted from the outside of the condom. Those infections would be transferred between your rectum and your vagina (and visa versa). As an example, if you were having protected anal sex, bacteria found in the rectum would go on the outside of the condom. When your partner would switch to vaginal sex, those bacteria would then be transferred to your vagina, which could lead to serious vaginal infections. Bacteria that are normally found in the rectum could potentially cause serious problems in the vagina.

Also, if you were to have an STD in the rectum, and then switch to vaginal sex, the infection can then spread to your vagina as well. Likewise, if you were to have an STD in the vagina, and then switch to anal sex, the infection can then spread to your rectum as well.

As a general rule, if you are having unprotected sex, he should wash his penis between vaginal and anal sex (and visa versa). If he is using a condom, he should remove the condom, and then put on a new condom when switching between the vagina and the rectum. Taking these steps will prevent transmission of infections between the vagina and the rectum, and visa versa.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

positive-negative relationship
Why are civil liberties of those at risk of infection not so important as those infected already?