percentages between men and women

By what percent do men get HIV rather than women?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. A breakdown of AIDS cases by gender for many countries, can be found in the Weekly Epidemiological Record, published by the World Health Organization. As of today, the latest AIDS statistics for many countries can be found in the Weekly Epidemiological Record, Volume 72, number 27, dated 4 July, 1997. To read these statistics go to the following website:

http://www.who.ch/wer/wer_home.htm

The breakdown by gender can be found in Table 2 of this report.

For the United States alone, please go to the following website for AIDS statistics:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/hiv_aids/stats/hasrlink.htm

I must make a few warnings about the statistics in these reports:

1) These statistics only include persons diagnosed with full-blown AIDS, not HIV alone. There are no reliable statistics for most countries for HIV infection (without a diagnosis of full-blown AIDS). In fact, even in the USA, we do not have reliable statistics for HIV infection, since HIV is not reportable in all states. However, full-blown AIDS is reportable in all places in the USA.

2) Statistics by gender is only available for a limited number of countries. Not all countries report AIDS cases by gender.

3) For most countries, the statistics available by gender are only for the previous 3 years, that is, 1994, 1995, and 1996.

4) In many countries (especially "Developing/Third World" countries), reporting has been very poor. Therefore, HIV/AIDS data for many countries may be incomplete, and may not be accurate of the true scope of the epidemic.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Moral/ethical dilemma
Poppers