The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What else could it be?

Nov 19, 1997

Rick, thanks for your hard work and very useful advice. I know you say people should not diagnose themselves from their symptoms, but WHAT ELSE could cause, persistent fevers, night sweats, myalgia, nausea, anorexia, sore throats, headaches, diarrhea, lymphadenopathy, oral candidiasis, peripheral neuropathy, and mucocutaneous ulcers over a four month period after a high risk sexual encounter?. My ELISA test after 3 months was OK but my doctor has run out of alternative dignoses so I'm dreading the 6 month test. Help!.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. What else could it be? That answer is so large, it would be the size of a text book! If your symptoms are not going away (or are very severe), and your doctor cannot determine the cause, get a second opinion from another physician. Only laboratory tests can determine the cause of your symptoms. If you CAREFULLY read the symptoms post in the "Frequently Asked Questions" area, you will note that your symptoms are not consistent with recent HIV infection, especially if they have been going on for four months. Obviously, I cannot diagnose your symptoms over the computer (nor can anybody diagnose any persons symptoms over the computer!). Only further laboratory testing will determine the cause of your symptoms.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Counseling IS an Option!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint