Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Discordant Couples (HIV Positive and Negative)
Nov 4, 1998

Hi Dr, My husband found out about a month ago that he is HIV positive I by some miracle am negative.( I had the test done that detects just 2 viruses.) Is it really OK to have sex with a condom as long as it is done properly? It may sound silly but I make my husband wear 2 condoms I am just to scared not to. Any info or links you could direct me to would be appreciated since this is all so new to me.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

Several recent studies looked at couples in which one partner was infected with HIV, and the other was not (also known as discordant couples). One study looked at the infection rate of HIV-negative women having sex with HIV-positive men. In couples who did not use condoms every time, 15% of the women eventually became infected themselves. In couples who used condoms every time, less than 2% of the women became infected. In another study looking at positive persons having sex with negative persons, when condoms were not used every time, 10% of the negative partners eventually became infected. In the couples who were always using condoms, none of the negative persons in the study became infected. These studies show that condoms will protect against HIV, but the key is that they be used every time and correctly.

For information about the using multiple (2 or more) condoms during sex, read the posting, CONDOM USE.

For information on some of the issues faced by discordant couples, read the posting, positive-negative relationship.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Did AIDS come from having sex with monkeys?
Next
Can using poppers be harmful if you have HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.