Taking unecessary tests: one man's story

Rick, the reason I am writing you is to thank you for your advice and to hopefully help some of your readers. A long while ago, I had convinced myself that I was HIV positive. I engaged in very low risk behavior as you explained to me but I still could not shake the fear. I went to medical labs that were more than happy to do every sort of tests imaginable and costly. After spending thousands of dollars and suffering mental torment beyond belief while waiting for all these results, I spoke to an "honest" and caring physician who told me that I should of taken your advice from the beginning and that all these tests were not necessary. He also reminded me that medical labs are for profit entities and will gladly accept my cash sometimes not even caring for the patients mental status...I thank you for your honest, caring and so accurate advice and hope that if your readers read this that this might help put their fears at ease....

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your comments. Your story is actually a very common one. Many people are taken advantage of, by a few for-profit labs offering to do these tests whether a person needs the tests or not. Of course, not all labs and testing services take advantage of people like this, but sadly, some do. That is one of the reasons I wrote the article about taking unnecessary tests.

I hope you have now put your fears behind you, or you have entered into counseling to help you cope with your fears. Thank you for sharing your story.

How to contact the Nevada AIDS Hotline
Abortions in pregnant HIV positive women