Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is HTLV-III?
Feb 24, 1999

Dr. Sowaksky, You have fully explained what HTLV-I is, But on my recent HIV test it states "A non-Reactive result indicates that HIV-I (HTLV-III) antibodies have not been found in this patients specimen." What is the differences between HTLV-I and HTLV-III?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. HTLV-III is an outdated term for HIV-1. In the very early years of the AIDS epidemic, scientists were looking for the cause of the disease. Different scientists discovered viruses that were associated with AIDS and gave them different names:

HTLV-III (Human T-Lymphotropic Virus Type III) LAV (Lymphadenopathy Associated Virus) ARV (AIDS Associated Retrovirus)

When it was discovered that these were all the same virus, rather than having multiple names for the same virus, these names were discontinued, and the name was changed to HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus).

HTLV-I and HTLV-II (sometimes referred to as HTLV-I/II) are often confused with HIV (notice how much the names HTLV-I, HTLV-II, HTLV-I/II, and HTLV-III all look very similar to one another). Neither HTLV-I nor HTLV-II are associated with AIDS. Since the term HTLV-III has been discontinued, this should end the confusion between the HTLV viruses and HIV.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Number of deaths due to AIDS
Next
How to contact the Nevada AIDS Hotline

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.