Number of deaths due to AIDS

How many literally die to the disease AIDS?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

Let me review with you some data regarding the number of deaths due to AIDS in the United States, and worldwide.

In the United States, from 1981 to June 1998, of the 665,357 cases of AIDS reported, 401,028 have died (approximately 60% of cases). Source: Centers For Disease Control

Worldwide, as of December 1998, it is estimated that 13.9 million people have died due to AIDS since the epidemic began. Of this number, it is estimated that 2.5 million people died in 1998 alone. Of the deaths that occurred in 1998, it has been estimated that 20% occurred in children, and 45% of adult deaths were in women. Because of poor reporting in many countries, it is very difficult to say how accurate these estimates really are. Currently, there are an estimated 33.4 million people living with HIV worldwide. Source: World Health Organization.

Let me point out that in Western nations like the United States, the death rate due to AIDS is declining, due to better treatments available to people living with the disease. However, in many parts of the world where these treatments are not available, the death rate continues to climb.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Regret for having sex because I'm so young
What is HTLV-III?