Does everyone who donates blood get a blood donor card?

Do you know how long it takes a blood bank to notify a donor of positive hiv test results? Is it weeks or months after the donation? My boyfriend got his "donor card" about one week after donating and thinks that it means that he did not test positive. I think it simply gives his blood type and that everybody gets a card. Thanks for any info you have.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. When a person donates blood, if they test positive on any of the screening tests for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, HTLV-I, HTLV-II, and syphilis, they are notified in writing as soon as possible (often within a few days or weeks after the donation). If a person tests positive on any of these tests, they would normally not qualify to donate again, and they would not receive a blood donor card in the mail. If your boyfriend received a blood donor card in the mail, it indicates that he tested negative for the bloodborne diseases mentioned above.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

What can weaken the immune system besides HIV?
Anal sex and prostate problems