Rare immune diseases similar to AIDS

My I.D. doctor told me there was arare disease that causes the same infections as aids.However, these people test neg. for hiv.She couldnt remember the name.Do you know about this and is it transmitted the same ways as hiv?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Your doctor could have been referring to a number of rare immune disorders including (but not limited to) Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) and Idiopathic CD4+ Lymphocytopenia (ICL). The most important point to remember is that HIV/AIDS is not the only disease affecting the immune system. There are many other problems that can also affect the immune system, and some of these diseases can also lead to opportunistic infections (infections that are primarily seen when the immune system is not functioning properly). Many of these problems with the immune system are due to causes other than infectious diseases (for example genetic disorders, certain cancers, etc.).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Immigration laws in the USA relating to HIV
What can weaken the immune system besides HIV?