Fear of someone purposely trying to infect me

I went to a prostitute and I'm scared that she purposely put a tiny hole in the condom so I couldn't see it, so that she can infect me with HIV. What are my risks? What should I do?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. I have occasionally seen people fearing that they may have HIV by other people purposely trying to infect them with the virus without their knowledge. I have seen people having fears of other people somehow putting holes in condoms, sticking them with needles, putting blood in food, and similar scenarios. If you find yourself fearful and paranoid about people purposely trying to infect you without you knowing it, my suggestion to you is to speak to a counselor about this. Fear of people purposely trying to infect you is more of a mental health issue than a true AIDS issue.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HIV testing requirements for children entering the USA
Immigration laws in the USA relating to HIV