The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV testing requirements for children entering the USA

Nov 1, 1999

I am a u.s.citizen living outside the u.s.a. I have one child 12 years old and I am going to apply for him for a green card. my question is.When I apply for my childs green card in a u.s.embassy outside the u.s. can the embassy force my child to take the hiv test.Till what age are children applying for a green card are not required by to take the hiv test.Does the law concerning children, apply for all u.s.embassies aroung the world,or is it that certain u.s.embassies may require the hiv test for children and others may not.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. For the answers to these questions in your specific situation, you will need to contact your local US embassy or consulate directly. More information about HIV issues related to immigration and green cards can also be found on the website of the US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). I also suggest that you read the HIV/AIDS and Immigration page here at The Body. For information on a similar topic, see the posting, Immigration laws in the USA relating to HIV.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

How do you get Tuberculosis (TB)?
Fear of someone purposely trying to infect me

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint