Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No documented Vaginal Fluid transmissions?
Oct 8, 1996

Dr. Sowadsky, I've read that sweat, tears and saliva also contain some traces of HIV in an infected person. If one were to obtain these and then inject them directly to the bloodstream, can one get infected? I ask this because I was recently playing ball in a public playground and really scratched myself up. When people came to help, there sweat was just dropping on my wide-open wounds. So if even injection of these substances won't get you infected, then I should be OK.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Saliva, tears, sweat and urine do contain the HIV virus, but in such small concentrations that we have not seen any cases of HIV transmission linked to any of these body fluids. If however there were visible blood in these body fluids, then there would be a risk of infection.

Theoretically, if we were to inject these body fluids directly into the blood, theoretically, infection would be possible since the virus is found in these body fluids (although in extremely low concentrations). However, theoretically, almost anything is possible. We must look into the realistic, tangible data, rather than the theoretical.

Realistically, your risk of infection under the situation you spoke of is extremely low. Nobody has ever been infected through sweat and no cases of HIV infection have been linked to sweat. So even if the sweat of these people got into your open wounds, your risk would be very very low. In fact, if you did become infected this way, you would be the very first person in the entire world to get infected by sweat.....that's how low your risk would be!

So in summary, theoretically, there would be a risk of infection. But realistically, the virus has never been transmitted through sweat, and your risk of infection would be extremely remote!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Previous
HIV infection from blood test?
Next
Are showers a risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.