Spittles

Hi a couple of days ago, a woman collapsed in front of where I was sitting in front of a coffee shop. As I went over to help her (elevating her legs, etc.) I noticed that she was EXTREMELY ill with something. (She was very pale and had a high fever) I was worried that I would have to do CPR but fortunately she regained consciousness. However, as I was tending to her, her partner was talking hysterically at me, spraying spittle all over me as he talked. My question is, if some of his spittle got into my eyes, mouth, etc. as I was tending to this woman, would this place me at some risk for HIV assuming the guy was HIV positive?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. You would not be at risk of infection if you were exposed to his spittle (saliva). Although saliva can have the virus in it, it is in such small concentrations that nobody has ever been infected through saliva. So even if some of his saliva did get into your eyes or mouth, you would not be considered at risk for HIV infection.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Getting HIV by sharing soap
BLOOD DONATION