Life span of the aids virus

I am a mexican medical student, doing a research job for my class of immunology,the question that I have is How much of the virus do I need to get infected? & What is the infective diosis(minimum concentration) of the virus?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. We really do not know what the minimum effective dose is that's required for transmission to successfully take place. Theoretically, it only takes one virus to get into the bloodstream in order for infection to occur. Once that virus gets into a CD4 cell, it can replicate and multiply in large numbers. But it is not known whether a certain minimum number of viruses must enter the body in order for infection to occur. But what we can say is that the more HIV that a person is exposed to, the greater the chances that infection will occur.

If you have any further questions please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

Is it safe to have common bath - Hot Spring ?
Why don't small quantities of HIV lead to AIDS?