Nail Clippers, scabs, and HIV transmission

I have a habit of using nail clippers to peel of scabs on my body..which usually results in bleeding. Me and my room mate share the same nail clipper. Recently, I found out that my room mate is the type at sleeps around. Do u think my habit would out me in danger of being infected my HIV...if he has it ? Or am I just being paranoid.. Please help..this is causing much stress and fear into me.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. I do not understand why you are doing this in the first place. Opening up your cuts like this can cause many unnecessary problems, the least of which is secondary bacterial infections and possible scarring on your skin. It would be in your best interest to stop doing this, and to allow your cuts to completely heal on their own. In regard to any HIV risks, the risks are essentially the same as sharing razors and toothbrushes. Read the posting transmission through shaving? for more information about this topic. If you are not being exposed to blood under these circumstances, you are not at risk for HIV and other bloodborne diseases.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Risks of biting and getting bitten
Transmission through intact skin