Person with HIV not washing their hands

I have a question that relates to situation which actually happened (it may sound a bit awkward, but I assure this actually took place).

A female employee, hiv +, masturbated in the bathroom (another employee observed her doing this through the stall), and then did not wash her hands. The other employee, who observed the whole situation, proceeded to follow her (concerned about this); about 20 or 30 seconds later I met her (the hiv + woman) at my cubicle, and I shook her hand. I then rubbed my contacts immediately after (I have a habit of rubbing my contacts).

NOW, the other employee, who followed the first lady with poor bathroom manners, told me immediately what she did and that she didn't wash her hands. (she noticed that I was rubbing my eyes and asked me not to) I have two questions,

1) Can I approach this lady and kindly request her to use better judgement (Ironically this takes place in a large law firm).

2) Am I at risk for hiv infection from indirect contact with the vaginal fluids that was most likely on her hand.

thanks.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. In response to your questions:

I suggest that you do not do this, as this may lead to an argument between the two of you. A much simpler solution is one that I have seen done in many offices. Simply put up a sign in the bathroom saying, "Please wash your hands before you leave the bathroom". This way you are not making accusations that may anger this woman, and at the same time, you will be educating all employees that they should wash their hands after using the bathroom. Washing one's hands after using the bathroom is a part of good hygiene, and helps stop the spread of infectious diseases (primarily infections like E. coli and hepatitis A, more so than HIV).

Although anything and everything is theoretically possible, realistically speaking, you were at low risk of infection, and HIV has never been transmitted under these circumstances.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Man accused of injecting infant son with HIV
HIV in a smoke filled environment