Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Person with HIV not washing their hands
Jul 26, 1999

I have a question that relates to situation which actually happened (it may sound a bit awkward, but I assure this actually took place).

A female employee, hiv +, masturbated in the bathroom (another employee observed her doing this through the stall), and then did not wash her hands. The other employee, who observed the whole situation, proceeded to follow her (concerned about this); about 20 or 30 seconds later I met her (the hiv + woman) at my cubicle, and I shook her hand. I then rubbed my contacts immediately after (I have a habit of rubbing my contacts).

NOW, the other employee, who followed the first lady with poor bathroom manners, told me immediately what she did and that she didn't wash her hands. (she noticed that I was rubbing my eyes and asked me not to) I have two questions,

1) Can I approach this lady and kindly request her to use better judgement (Ironically this takes place in a large law firm).

2) Am I at risk for hiv infection from indirect contact with the vaginal fluids that was most likely on her hand.

thanks.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. In response to your questions:

1) Can I approach this lady and kindly request her to use better judgement (Ironically this takes place in a large law firm).

I suggest that you do not do this, as this may lead to an argument between the two of you. A much simpler solution is one that I have seen done in many offices. Simply put up a sign in the bathroom saying, "Please wash your hands before you leave the bathroom". This way you are not making accusations that may anger this woman, and at the same time, you will be educating all employees that they should wash their hands after using the bathroom. Washing one's hands after using the bathroom is a part of good hygiene, and helps stop the spread of infectious diseases (primarily infections like E. coli and hepatitis A, more so than HIV).

2) Am I at risk for hiv infection from indirect contact with the vaginal fluids that was most likely on her hand.

Although anything and everything is theoretically possible, realistically speaking, you were at low risk of infection, and HIV has never been transmitted under these circumstances.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Previous
Man accused of injecting infant son with HIV
Next
HIV in a smoke filled environment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.