Any risk from sharing nasal spray

Do you think there is any chance of transmission from sharing nasal spray with someone whose HIV status you don't know? I did it just once, but right after he had used the nasal spray in his nose.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Since there have been no cases of HIV transmission linked to any type of nasal discharges or secretions, realistically speaking, you would not be at risk of infection for HIV by sharing nasal spray. But since other infectious diseases can be transmitted through nasal secretions (the common cold being a good example), it is not a good idea to share nasal sprays with other people.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Occupational needlestick in a motel room
Could that have been a needle I felt stick me? Am I at risk for HIV?