Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood on food
Oct 31, 2001

Dear Ryan, Please answer this question. Is there any risk if you accidentally eat food that has a stain of blood on it? I noticed a red stain (it seemed to be blood) on a piece of fruit that I was eating and I am concerned that I may have eaten and swallowed part of that stain of blood. The fruit had been bought at the supermarket some 50 to 52 hours before. Will the virus be dead by then?

Response from Mr. Kull

Based on the biological and epidemiological knowledge of HIV and its transmission, there is no likelihood of transmission in your case. Here's the case:

1) It's important to remember that HIV is only known to be transmitted through the following three ways:

Sexual contact: anal, vaginal, and oral sex

Blood-to-blood contact: sharing injection needles, occupational exposures, blood transfusions (which is rare in the U.S.)

Mother-to-infant: either through delivery or during breast feeding

If you are not engaging in any of these activities, then the odds of transmission are theoretical only.

2) HIV does not survive in the environment long enough to cause transmission through contact outside of the above three categories. This is why we don't see transmission through contact with inanimate objects and other forms of casual contact (like eating food, sharing drinking glasses, using public restrooms, etc.). Studies of families living with an HIV infected person have demonstrated this. See "Survival of HIV in the Environment" (http://www.thebody.com/cdc/survival.html) for more information.

RMK

Previous
Testing
Next
Oral sex w/o ejaculation, risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.