The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

simple sex and the walking dead

Oct 31, 2001

Recently I had protected sex with an hiv infected female aferwards I have been having AVS symptoms as posted on many sites. I dont know what to do because I am so stressed out. I have never been sick or had this many pains in my life until now so I know something is wrong and I been having a high heart rate when I do a small activities. I went to the doctor and he said that iam stressed out because my blood pressure was high . What are the chances or risk I might get hiv from this one time thing.

Response from Mr. Kull

Most of the research literature to date (including the NIH's infamous report on condom effectiveness) demonstrates that intact, latex condoms that are used through sexual intercourse are highly effective in preventing the transmission of HIV. This means that it is highly unlikely that you were infected in the episode you describe. That also means that your symptoms are probably unrelated to HIV infection.

It does sound like you are anxious. If the anxiety continues despite the low likelihood of infection, I really encourage you to talk with someone qualified in assessing anxiety and anxiety disorders (a psychiatrist is most qualified). Doing that might ease the difficulties you are experiencing. Check out the National Institute of Mental Health's page on anxiety for more info(


Worried about daughter. Help Please!
If I can live through this I will never stray again!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint